Sunday, September 03, 2006

Pastels on a Sunday morning

This morning while sipping on my coffee, I noticed the african violet by my window had budded a pastel pink flower for the first time. Chad was trying to coach me at the same time and this is how I think it worked out optically (pardon my ignorance, I'm learning as I go here). I reached for my tripod and in, A-dep mode, I decreased my depth of field by decreasing the f-stop (or increasing the apperture size). Theoretically, the camera in this mode would have adjusted to limit the amount of sunlight from the window (otherwise the photo would have been washed out) by increasing the shutter speed. By decreasing my depth of field too, it blurred out the green in the background a lot more and highlighted the pastel flower in the front. Turned out alright - will keep experimenting. Cindy.

2 comments:

Brat Pack SA said...

Hey Cins, nice capture. Personally i dont think my brain would be working too early in the morning to do that, hahah. Oh, dont u mean Av mode? A-dep tries to put everything in focus, right?

Brat Pack SA said...

I'm not too sure - it was early in the morning :) I'm pretty sure it was A-dep, but you could very well be right. I'll try it again this w/e.